How to bring world Peace!
Thanks for being here!
remember to invite your friends.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thanks for being here!
remember to invite your friends.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power- how can we as individuals, groups and institutions become more powerful (without imposing our views on others)?

3 posters

Go down

Power- how can we as individuals, groups and institutions become more powerful (without imposing our views on others)? Empty Power- how can we as individuals, groups and institutions become more powerful (without imposing our views on others)?

Post by Balearicdreams Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:39 pm

Starting a new world with weary humans wont be easy, but it is certainly possible. I think about institutions which have a powerful influence on human lives, and I try to understand what makes them powerful. I have began a very small analysis which I think will be a helpful framework to create a global community of freedom, trust and respect. Firstly, let me applaud Dan's post on human rights. Human Rights is a great place to start! Furthermore, it might be the only 'rules' we actually need, and fits into the existing frameworks quite neatly. Nearly everybody understands the discourse and most agree with the concept. Now, codifying human rights into "law" where there will be no actual "law" might be more of a challenge. However, power is not just found in law (or military/arms), but in the ability to influence peoples decisions (and actions). Influence comes in many forms (more than I can name). I have just listed a few alternatives to codified, legal power which we could rely on. 1. Social convention (i.e. what parents/schools teach children) also a kind of moral authority- i.e. there is right and there is wrong 2. Status- respect. Since we cannot enforce this (I assume we wont be sending shoplifters to jail!) we are encouraging a positive freedom, people choose to give human rights (and other ideas) respect because of their status. In order to gain respect, our ideas must have integrity. That means demonstrating intelligence, confidence, composure, conviction, principles, compassion as well as establishing trust through both language and actions and good old fashioned charisma/ good speakers/ persuasion. These are all traits that we can use to define ourselves and our beliefs without using aggression and violence (which are not the product of strength, but weakness). Overall, in order for people to respect our 'manifesto' the way that they (most) respect human rights law now, we must establish trust (as knowledgeable, compassionate, principled people) and always be mindful of our words and actions. I am just thinking aloud, and I encourage everybody to do the same. We are here to move on, not critique, so tell me what you think about my train of thought (and feel free to critisise my assumptions and sweeping statements!) but please dont pick my monologue apart, add as much as you want but dont devalue me (or others) we are all in the same boat, sharing is caring! Open, supportive dialogue please!

Balearicdreams
Admin

Back to top Go down

Power- how can we as individuals, groups and institutions become more powerful (without imposing our views on others)? Empty Re: Power- how can we as individuals, groups and institutions become more powerful (without imposing our views on others)?

Post by Dan Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:50 am

*claps* Very well said Exclamation

Dan
Admin

https://letsdothistogether.iftopic.com

Back to top Go down

Power- how can we as individuals, groups and institutions become more powerful (without imposing our views on others)? Empty Re: Power- how can we as individuals, groups and institutions become more powerful (without imposing our views on others)?

Post by curtisleeronald Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:57 am

I am no anthropology expert, but it seems highly unlikely that in older societies such as native american societies, African, Australian aboriginal.. would have had things like theft, murder and suicide as a common burden, it would have definitely happened but i doubt it was constant. Society will always have close minded, violent people but it is up to the majority of people to keep them out of power. Anthropology shows that societies without hierarchical rule is not only possible, but the oldest and most peaceful way of running things. as an example, the native Americans did not have an elite, it had a geriarchy as a replacement. That is, there's no class system or layers and layers of power, but the elders have the last say on everything, by virtue of them being the most experienced individuals in the community.
One could make the claim that this is only applicable to small communities, however it is easy to view how the world could be split into small factions which is not too far fetched considering this has been the way of the world for the majority, without a state to control the masses the burden is released to govern and the autonomous communities are free to govern themselves, a massive re evaluation on education, immigration, law and economy would have the world change in a decade as long as everybody was on board.. and i firmly believe that if people knew what was actually going on then the idea of a revolution would not be far fetched, the idea of a stateless society would not be out of reach and they will wake up.

curtisleeronald

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum